List:       squirrelmail-devel
Subject:    Re: [SM-DEVEL] New Mail plugin suggestion
From:       "Tomas Kuliavas" <tokul () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2004-09-19 13:33:24

>> But it forces people to install proprietary plugin that is supported
>> only on some platforms. Plugin that phones home and checks for new
>> version by default.
>
> The chances are greater that the user already has the Flash Player plugin
>  installed since Flash is more common in web sites than embeded wav
> files. Assuming that they have Quicktime, or assuming they would be
> willing to install yet another sound file player is careless thinking.
> Besides, I
> haven't personally seen any mainstream platform that Macromedia doesn't
> support with their Flash Player plugin.

There is only one mainstream desktop platfom. Win32. Macromedia supports it.

Linux x86 had to wait for Flash7 plugin for several months. I think,
Shockwave support for Linux is not available. People have to use CrossOver
plugins in order to run Shockwave on Linux.

PPC got plugin only for MacOS.
http://www.petitiononline.com/fla4lppc/petition.html

http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/alternates/

I don't have anything against Flash as long as it is not enabled on my
workstation and webdesigners create "Skip F... Intro" link :). yet it
would be nicer to implement it in SquirrelMail with alternatives.

Your idea is good. Only patch has to be different.
--
Tomas