List:       squid-users
Subject:    Re: [squid-users] Re: icp_query_timeout directive is not working in 3.3.8 for some reason
From:       Alex Rousskov <rousskov () measurement-factory ! com>
Date:       2013-08-28 0:31:29

On 08/24/2013 12:58 AM, x-man wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> actually all the problem appeared to be happening due to ICP communication
> between squid and our cache peer which also supports ICP. When we have
> workers (more than 1) the ICP packets were not returning back (eventually)
> to the proper worker so that's why the TIMEOUTS were happening, probably due
> to the reason that this is UDP communication
>
> After adding the following simple config
>
> # different icp port per worker in order to make it work
> icp_port 313${process_number}
>

> now everything is working fine with Multi worker environment and our
> cache_peer

Nice solution! I especially like that if this Squid is configured to use
SMP-aware caching, then other peers can use just one of the worker ICP
ports to send queries to this Squid (if they need to query it at all) --
no need to query each worker individually.

Amos and I have adjusted documentation at
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/SmpScale to reflect some of this.
More development work is needed to make ICP work better so that this
workaround is not needed.

Thank you,

Alex.