List:       squid-dev
Subject:    Re: Does no-store in request imply no-cache?
From:       Mark Nottingham <mnot () yahoo-inc ! com>
Date:       2010-09-23 0:18:34

On 23/09/2010, at 9:47 AM, Alex Rousskov wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> Let's assume the above is correct and Squid satisfied the no-store request from the \
> cache. Should Squid purge the cached response afterwards?
> If Squid does not purge, the next regular request will get the same
> cached response as the no-store request got, kind of violating the "MUST NOT store \
> any response to it" no-store requirement.

Sort of, but not really. I agree this could be worded better; we'll work on it.

> If Squid purges, it is kind of silly because earlier requests could have gotten the \
> same "sensitive" information before the no-store request came and declared the \
> already cached information "sensitive".

Agreed.

This has been discussed in the WG before (can't remember the ref); basically, it \
boiled down to each request being independent; you don't want requests affecting \
other ones (beyond anything, it's a security issue if you allow clients to purge your \
cache indescriminantly).

--
Mark Nottingham       mnot@yahoo-inc.com