List:       squid-dev
Subject:    Re: squid-head and ifs: random work
From:       Adrian Chadd <adrian () creative ! net ! au>
Date:       2001-01-23 13:16:36

On Tue, Jan 23, 2001, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> Adrian Chadd wrote:
>
> > A while back I created IFS - the Inode Filesystem - for FreeBSD.
> > Basically its FFS without the directory namespace. You work with
> > inode numbers as your directory.
>
> There exists a similar thing for Linux EXT2
>
> http://www.uwsg.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/9901.1/1059.html

You'll find that the ifs code actually *removes* most of the directory
operations from FFS/UFS to give a flat inode namespace. This lets you
create/unlink inodes and have fsck work properly without "tricks" :)

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			"Sex Change: a simple job of outside
<adrian@creative.net.au>	  to inside plumbing."