List:       squeak-vm-dev
Subject:    Re: [Vm-dev] pluginizing Galois Fields
From:       Ben Coman <btc () openinworld ! com>
Date:       2015-12-20 10:43:37

On Sun, Dec 20, 2015 at 5:55 PM, Robert Withers
<robert.w.withers@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/19/2015 04:23 PM, Eliot Miranda wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 18, 2015 at 11:25 PM, Robert Withers <robert.w.withers@gmail.=
com> wrote:
>> On 12/19/2015 02:09 AM, Eliot Miranda wrote:
>> Hi Robert,
>>
>> On Dec 18, 2015, at 9:51 PM, Robert Withers <robert.w.withers@gmail.com>=
 wrote:

>> Eliot, what does Sista do and how is that accomplished?
>>

>> Run-time adaptive optimisation via an SSA-based image-level bytecode-to-=
bytecode inlining compiler.  See

>> http://www.mirandabanda.org/cogblog/on-line-papers-and-presentations/
>>

>> It sounds like a next level kind of system. Does it compare to what othe=
r JITs are doing in various VMs?

>> Yes it does. Cl=C3=A9ment recently attended a workshop at Google and fou=
nd that Sista is very similar in the kinds of optimisations it performs to =
V8 and Dart.  The key research funding will be how close the performance of=
 targeting stack-oriented bytecode that the Cog JIT converts to register-ba=
sed code can be made to JITs that directly target register-based machine co=
de.

>> This sounds like you are saying that Sista performs better or more natur=
ally with stack-oriented bytecode. If you wouldn't mind taking the time to =
explore it with us, what's the difference between stack-oriented and regist=
er-based code, such that Sista would be different between them? I'm off to =
read some.

> I'd rather not. That's something there's lots of papers on, and I'm not s=
ure it's really important that I explain.  You can inform yourself, and the=
 Sista talks I pointed to at least mention the topic.  I will say that our =
thesis is that we can generate efficient register-based machine code from s=
tack-oriented bytecode, and that's one of the things we're trying to demons=
trate with Sista.

> Having had a little bit of sleep, upon waking I just have to say I am dis=
appointed in this response. As a seeker of knowledge, I'm certainly willing=
 to research deeply, yet that is a time investment when I also have a full =
plate. Nonetheless, the negative response to a search of knowledge is indic=
ative of an attitude I often find and it is a real shame, a real shame for =
everyone. I reread what I wrote and yes, in the scope of an exploration, as=
 I said, denotes a big time investment to dive deep. You could have said so=
, not a big time investment, but go towards more of a paragraph then a sent=
ence in helping to feed me when I was hungry. A more paranoid personality t=
hat lives within me thinks it may have been something I personally did to g=
arnish a more negative response, but I'm convinced it was the way I broache=
d.

You're over thinking it. Please read...
sections...
+ Be explicit about your question