List:       squeak-dev
Subject:    Chinese Checkers [was: Re: Chess programming]
From:       Dan Ingalls <Dan () SqueakLand ! org>
Date:       2001-11-30 18:06:10

Koen De Turck <Koen.DeTurck@rug.ac.be>  wrote...

> Maybe I should look at the chinese checkers demo too.
> (By the way, does anyone happen to have the rules of that game ? )

I don't know officially, but the way I have always understood it is...

1.  Someone starts (I don't know how you are supposed to select this -- I would guess \
the one who lost last time), and play continues clockwise among the players.  The \
winner is the first person to get all of his pieces into the (10) home positions \
directly across form his starting home triangle.

2.  A move consists of making either a simple move or a jump with any one of your \
pieces.

3.  In a simple move you move one of your pieces to any adjacent (one of the 6 \
nearest) cell that is unoccupied.

4.  To make a jump, one of the adjacent cells must be occupied (it doesn't matter by \
whom), and the cell immediately beyond in that direction must be unoccupied.  You \
move your piece over the occupied cell to the unoccupied cell.  That is one leg of a \
jump.  A jump may be extended to a sequence of any number of legs, each in any \
direction.

I'm not sure if it's a rule, but I've played with people who say you can't use cells \
that are in any home traingle other than your starting or ending home.

A very different (and wild) game is to allow any jump that is in-line and symmetric.  \
In other words, if you drew a line 30 degrees off the forward axis, and the cells \
along that line were (x u u o o u u u ...), (x = where you are, u = unoccupied, o = \
occupied), then you could jump to the 7th cell (the last in my list), because you \
would be passing over the symmetric pattern (u u o o u u).  That, of course, is just \
one leg, of a jump.  This one is good with beer ;-).

Hope this helps

	- Dan