List:       squeak-dev
Subject:    Re: Performance of switching system window focus
From:       Dan Ingalls <Dan () SqueakLand ! org>
Date:       2001-11-29 18:38:19

"Stephen Pair" <spair@advantive.com>  writes in...

> I was just looking back at squeak 2.5 and noticed that switching the
> focus of system windows seems a whole lot faster than in Squeak 3.1 &
> 3.2.  It doesn't seem like switching window focus should appear sluggish
> on a 1Ghz machine, but it does.

Absolutely.

As I've said many times, we go through periods of extension and periods of tuning, \
and we haven't done much serious tuning since several significant changes (though I \
put out three tuning updates in the last week).

If you or anyone else wants to help pursue this, put up three of your favorite \
windows and write a loop inside a MessageTally to cycle among the three doing

	[:x | x activate.  "Bring it to the front"
	x world doOneCycle  "Repaint the display"]

Do this in both 2.5 and the very latest.  Note that it's worth doing this both on a \
blank screen and a screen littered with other windows (preferably of a recognizably \
different type so they will stand out in the tally), since at various times we have \
been both clever and not so clever, at minimizing damage reported in the rest of the \
screen.

	- Dan