List:       squeak-beginners
Subject:    Re: [Newbies] How to implement parameters for an application
From:       Jerome Peace <peace_the_dreamer () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2009-10-21 23:23:55

--- On Mon, 10/19/09, Cédrick Béler <cdrick65@gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Cédrick Béler <cdrick65@gmail.com>
> Subject: [Newbies] How to implement parameters for an application
> To: "A friendly place to get answers to even the most basic questions about \
>                 Squeak." <beginners@lists.squeakfoundation.org>
> Date: Monday, October 19, 2009, 9:31 AM
> Hi,
>
> I use an application that used to have a shared pool for
> varaibles for global parameters.
> I removed them and implemented a special class for
> parameters but I don't feel happy with that.
>
> Is it a good practice to implement parameters as class side
> method on each relevant model class (instead of having a
> global container for parameters) ? If yes, I guess I need to
> use pragma or something else to get these parameters
> easily.
>

> Any comments welcome :)
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Cédrick

Hmm. What is the application for? How would you model it as a bunch of interacting \
objects? Can you give a short user story for the application you are trying to \
create?

What is making you feel uncomfortable about having a class for the parameters? What \
would make you feel comfortable instead?

I usually get a feeling of discomfort when the code is fighting me. The solution is \
to think about responsibilities.

Usually the class that owns a parameter is the best place to put the responsibility \
of dealing with it. If you have classes that are constantly asking others for info \
then the responsibilities are probably in the wrong place.

Hth,