List:       sqlite-users
Subject:    [sqlite] PRAGMA journal_mode and PRAGMA version compatibility
From:       Jan Asselman <jan.asselman () iba-benelux ! com>
Date:       2015-11-23 11:43:29

Hi,

1)

Using v3.8.6 I noticed that journal files were created and removed while executing a \
transaction event though I had set the "PRAGMA journal_mode = MEMORY;".

Right after creating a new sqlite file using sqlite3_open16() I execute a couple of \
PRAGMA statements.

Right after executing all pragma statements, executing "PRAGMA journal_mode;" returns \
result code 0 ( == DELETE).

As a test I've set "PRAGMA journal_mode = PERSIST;" and then the returned result code \
still is 0 ( == DELETE) but I see that, after closing the sqlite3 file, the journal \
file still exists.

The return value for other pragma statements do return the correct value (e.g. \
page_size, max_page_size, ...).

Questions:
- Is the "PRAGMA journal_mode;" statement returning an incorrect value?
- Are there situations when a journal file needs to be created even when journal mode \
is set to MEMORY?

2)

Then I tried upgrading to the newest version 3.9.2. Opening an sqlite file created \
with v3.8.6 now fails to execute a couple of PRAGMA statements, for instance:

- "PRAGMA max_page_count = 1073741823;"
- "PRAGMA auto_vacuum = NONE;"
- "PRAGMA journal_mode = MEMORY;"

The result code returned by function sqlite3_prepare16_v2() that prepares each of \
these statements is 26 (== SQLITE_NOTADB): file is encrypted or is not a database.

Other pragma statements like "page_size, encoding, foreign_keys, ..." return result \
code 0 (== SLITE_OK).

Preparing any pragma statement for a sqlite file created with v3.9.2 returns result \
code 0 (== SLITE_OK).

Question:
- Did the compatibility break for some of the PRAGMA statements between v3.8.6 and \
v3.9.2?

Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jan Asselman