List:       sqlite-users
Subject:    Re: [sqlite] How would sqlite read this from disk?
From:       Simon Slavin <slavins () bigfraud ! org>
Date:       2015-10-30 17:03:54

On 30 Oct 2015, at 4:22pm, Mark Hamburg <mhamburg.ml@gmail.com> wrote:

> I knew it would dirty the whole page. I was thinking about the memory work and \
> ignoring that the disk I/O swamps that.

As someone who is not part of the development team I can write this.

I can't answer your question, but your pattern of thinking suggests that you're \
trying to optimize SQLite performance in some way.  But the questions you're asking \
suggest that you don't actually know of anything SQLite does in a bad way.  So you're \
chosing the wrong things to criticize.

SQLite is seriously good.  The things it does, and the choices made when it was \
written have been under test for ten years.  And the developer team are all \
professional computer scientists: they not only have programming experience, but \
they've read all the articles and books you'd expect them to have read.

So I urge you to go out and experiment.  Write some code which uses the API.  If you \
come back to us with poor performance in something then we have a proper basis for \
discussion.  But right now you're just pointlessly learning details about SQLite -- \
which you could learn by reading the source code -- and mentioning things which are \
done the way they are for good reasons.

Simon.