List:       sqlite-users
Subject:    Re: [sqlite] to encrypt sqlite db
From:       j.merrill () enlyton ! com
Date:       2013-08-31 23:25:02

If Windows RT supports the "encrypted files and folders" option of the NTFS file \
system -- I could not find anything that said explicitly that it either was or was \
not supported, and I don't have a Windows RT device to test with -- that would \
definitely be the way to go. It would require only the effort to turn on the \
encryption feature for the database file (or the directory holding multiple database \
files).

It's appropriate to always ask the question "what is the motivation for encrypting \
the database?"

If the reason is to prevent someone who steals the device from easily reading the \
data file (for example after removing or copying the hard drive), consider that \
someone who steals the device could run whatever installed software that's designed \
to be able to read/write the database. You would need to prevent them from being able \
to do that, otherwise the encryption would not be very useful.

[quoted message from Paolo Bolzoni]