List:       sqlite-users
Subject:    Re: [sqlite] Why is there no test suite for ''make check' ?
From:       Simon Slavin <slavins () bigfraud ! org>
Date:       2010-06-25 18:42:12

On 25 Jun 2010, at 7:06pm, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:

> On 06/24/10 05:13 PM, Richard Hipp wrote:
>
> > I see.  You are building from the amalgamation.  And you should be too.  But
> > you are right - we do not ship test suites with the amalgamation.  To use
> > the free test suite for SQLite, you have to build from canonical source
> > code.  We have a separate test harness for the amalgamation (the one that
> > provides 100% branch test coverage) but that one is not free, I'm afraid.
>
> Do you (or anyone else for that matter), not believe it is reasonable to include
> a test suite with any distribution?

You'll find a number of FREE distributions of SQLite source code files here:

http://www.sqlite.org/download.html

The full distribution is the one called

sqlite-3_6_23-tea.tar.gz (1.14 MiB)

And, as you can see, it includes a test suite.  The purpose of the test suite is \
/not/ to test SQLite itself because the authors have done that.  It's to test your \
hardware, OS, compiler and linker to make sure that your own compilation of SQLite is \
sane on your particular platform.  The only people who run the test suite in anger \
are those who are compiling for non-standard hardware (embedded platforms) who are \
rare, and those who think they've spotted a bug in SQLite who are even rarer.

Many people who run SQLite are not really concerned about the inner workings of \
SQLite.  They are dealing with a big and complicated set of source files themselves \
and they don't want one tiny piece of their program -- a database engine -- to look \
big and complicated in their development environment.  For those people, SQLite makes \
the amalgamation package available: one file of C code and one header file, which is \
as simple as C gets.  That's the one you were told to use for your programming:

sqlite-amalgamation-3_6_23_1.zip (1.07 MiB)

If you have no reason to be suspicious of SQLite because you use the same hardware \
and compiler as everyone else, the amalgamation files are the only ones you need, and \
that's the way almost everyone does it.

So you have the test suite right there, for free, if you need it.  The reason you \
were initially told about the amalgamation version is that almost nobody does.

> I'm not talking about something that uses weeks of CPU time, gives 100% branch
> coverage and requires commerical licences to use.  Instead, I am suggesting a
> more limited set of tests that try to find problems within a reasonable time
> frame - perhaps 15-30 on a modern computer, without requiring any commercial
> software.

That's the way SQLite splits it: the really big and complicated test suite is not a \
freebie (and is not mentioned on the above page).  However, there's a smaller simpler \
and faster set of tests, still quite thorough, which you can get free as described \
above.

Simon.