List:       sqlite-users
Subject:    Re: [sqlite] Novice SQLite user
From:       Simon Slavin <slavins () bigfraud ! org>
Date:       2010-05-27 2:16:44

On 27 May 2010, at 2:15am, jdee5 wrote:

> hanks for your reply.  I have read through the link you suggested, very
> helpful...if I may ask another question concerning this.  Say on my
> application I have 2 users reading some of the database contents at the same
> time and they both log something in my application at the same time.

By 'log something' I assume you mean they are making changes to the same database \
they are both reading.

> For
> example say they want to both review different customer accounts and add a
> payment to the different customer accounts.  Would there be a delay with
> both of those when using SQLite, if so would it be significant?

This is impossible to say because it depends on your network setup and how your \
application works, but purely as a guess, one user would see no delay at all and the \
other would see one of less than half a second.

> Can I use SQLite this way have my application stored on the server and allow
> users on a LAN/peer to peer have the ability to open my app and write to it
> at the same time?

SQLite does not care (or even know) where your application is stored.  It does care \
where the file that holds the database is stored (the one you called in your '_open' \
command) and needs to deal correctly with whatever networking (p2p is fine) you are \
using.  I would guess you are intending to write a Windows application so you need to \
be sure that your Windows network resource supports file locking correctly.

> does this type of multi user access often corrupt the
> database?

The page I pointed to has a section called something like 'How to corrupt your \
database'.  Don't do those things.  If you do manage to find a bug that hasn't been \
fixed yet (unlikely but not impossible), please tell us because the clever people \
here will pounce on it and fix it.

> If my database does become corrupt how can I repair it.

One common way is to use the sqlite3 command-line program to dump your entire \
database as one big text file full of SQL commands, then to use those commands to \
create another database.  Sometimes corruption can be fixed just by remaking your \
indexes.  It depends what went wrong.

As a responsible supplier you will, of course, be making sure your customer knows to \
take backups of your database occasionally.

Simon.