List:       sqlite-users
Subject:    [sqlite] Nested transactions
From:       Guido Ostkamp <ooo () ostkamp ! fastmail ! fm>
Date:       2009-07-24 19:12:15

Hello,

just a short question:

With the current sqlite version, is it possible to have nested
transactions, e.g.

     exec select ... from table
     while (fetch row) {
         if (criteria)
             exec delete from t where ...
     }

which means execute some 'select', fetching the results in a loop and
inside the loop executing e.g. 'delete' statements on the same table based
on the data returned by the fetch?

The 'definitive guide to sqlite' book that I have (which is based on an
now outdated version of sqlite) says it isn't and I have to put the
results of the select into another temporary table or local storage to
work around the problem, but I thought I had heard about new support for
nested transactions.

Thanks for any insight.

Regards

Guido