List:       sqlite-users
Subject:    Re: [sqlite] Transaction within script
From:       "D. Richard Hipp" <drh () hwaci ! com>
Date:       2009-01-02 1:19:01

On Jan 1, 2009, at 7:25 PM, Igor Tandetnik wrote:

> "Webb Sprague" <webb.sprague@gmail.com>
> wrote in message
>> I have a script containing the following, which works fine except
>> that
>> at the end of the script I get "SQL error near line 5: cannot
>> commit -
>> no transaction is active".  The table specified in the file on line 2
>> gets created just fine, and populated just fine on line 4.  I am
>> using
>> sqlite 3.6.7, custom built with new column limits and variable
>> limits.
>
> I suspect .import directive invokes BEGIN and COMMIT internally.
> SQLite
> transactions don't nest.

FWIW, nested transactions (in the form of SAVEPOINTs) will appear in
the next SQLite release, which we hope to get out by mid-January.  The
SAVEPOINT code is already in CVS and is working well for all of our
tests so far, in case anyone would like to take it out for a test drive.

D. Richard Hipp
drh@hwaci.com