List:       sqlite-users
Subject:    Re: [sqlite] sqlite3_open() exclusive?
From:       Andrew Piskorski <atp () piskorski ! com>
Date:       2004-12-25 22:54:11

On Fri, Dec 24, 2004 at 07:32:07PM -0500, John Richard Moser wrote:

> I thought sqlite databases weren't supposed to be opened with two sqlite
> processes at once.  There are unimplemented locking commands due to this
> right?
>
> I'm bouncing back and forth in my head trying to decide if I should use
> mysql or sqlite to write a package manager.  I'd like to use SQLite

This seems like a rather strange design question to be "bouncing back
and forth" on.  Do you want to use a client server or an embedded
database for your application?  If you want client server, then you
get to choose from MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, etc. etc.  If you want
an embedded database, then you'd be looking at things like SQLite,
Metakit, etc.

The particular or peculiar attributes of each such piece of software
might even lead you to re-consider whether you want client server or
embedded, but simply jumping ahead to "MySQL vs. SQLite" seems decidly
innappropriate.  Perhaps you have other unmentioned constraints, but I
personally can't think of ANY case where I would conclude, "Oh, I
can't use SQLite for that, so I have to use MySQL." - nor vice versa,
either.

--
Andrew Piskorski <atp@piskorski.com>
http://www.piskorski.com/