List:       sqlite-users
Subject:    Re: [sqlite] Version 3.0.0 ALPHA now available
From:       Frank Baumgart <godot () uni-paderborn ! de>
Date:       2004-06-19 16:27:53

First impressions:

- the database size reduction is significant for my application
   3008 KB (2.8.13) vs. 2056 KB (3.0.0)

- the footprint of the shared library is somewhat larger than
   claimed on the web site (240 KB)
   Using the same compile options for both, the 2.8.13 shared library
   is 226 kB while the 3.0.0 is 254 KB
   (gcc 3.3.1, x86, -Os -DNDEBUG=1)

- speed is improved between 5 to 10% on my most time consuming queries
   on a desktop system (this is reproducable)
   performance on the embedded target system remains to be measured

- the declaration of "sqlite3_exec_printf()" is missing in the header
   file, although the function is still present and works

- conversion of a sqlite 2.x application was without hassle, but it
   is not easy to switch forth and back between both, say, in case 3.x
   does have show-stoppers. (yes, #define sqlite_xy sqlite3_xy...)
   I am not certain that separating the APIs by name and being able
   to use 2.x and 3.x simultaneously provides any benefit; at least
   not for me. Having different sqlite_open() signatures and different
   library versions would have done for me. Just IMHO of course.

- I wonder how much CPU overhead the so-called "manifest typing"
   induces. For me, static (column-based) typing would be just fine.

- the file format provisions for variable (runtime) page sizes will
   likely be beneficial for my application; at least, the compile-time
   option for 2.x reduced the DB size by at most 3%

- is there a compile-time option to use 32 bit ROWIDs?

Frank Baumgart