List:       sparc-redhat
Subject:    old sparc does not boot :-(
From:       "Hermann 'mrq1' Gausterer" <mrq1 () gmx ! net>
Date:       2000-11-15 19:46:02

hi,

some month ago, i got a old sparc, not from sun, a siemens.

i am new to this list, its my first try with sparc-linux,
so i have no expirence with it ... (i mean with sparc, not with linux ;-)

after booting, i come in the old prom-mode,
i switched with "n" to the ok prompt, and then i tried "boot net"
my tftp and rarp settings are ok, he loads the kernel, its
the file "tftp32" kernel from the redhat 6.1 distribution..

after downloading it (the counter shows 130600 )

with the rh6.2 image its the same, only the counter goes to 134000 :-(

i got only the output "TILO"

after this line, nothing else happens .... :-(

after that, i was trying with the cd, i downloaded the whole
disk (took my 2 days :-( ) and put it on a RW-disc. (rh 6.2 zoot)
the i atached my plextor px-40 on the sparc ...
and it works .... ok, i must change the scsi id to 2 .... ;-)

it boots, tilo cames up, i got the select screen from the
redhat installer .... ok

but as soon i select any of the options ... it hangs ...
i think it hangs by booting the kernel .... :-((

solaris 7 works , its realy easy to install ... i was surprised,
it looks easier than windows ... ;-)

with solaris , everthing works, network , X , ....

btw, the bootpromt prints only "siemens magicview 100" nothing else

what should i do next ? are there any programs for solaris to get
the exactly type of the hardware ?

mfg mrq1
--
linux 2.2.17 on a dual pentium iii 500 @ 515  512mb
Total of 2 processors activated (2057.84 BogoMIPS).