List:       sparc-redhat
Subject:    Help using a Windows cdrom for installation
From:       Larry Pajakowski <pajakows () wwa ! com>
Date:       1998-05-18 0:52:01

Hi!

Hope sombody can help.

Before I get into this can anyone verify that the mention of an SMB boot on
the redhat sparc web page is an error? Is it hidden?

I am attempting to install Redhat Sparc 4.2 Linux and only have available a
cdrom drive on a Windows95 box.

When I try and install using either nfs or ftp from the Windows95 box it
fails when "RedHat" is not found. The windows box only exports the
non-mapped iso9660 file names (8X3 upper case) and expects the consumber to
do the mapping. Unix on the other hand exports the already converted file
named.

I was able to verify this with sunOS.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Sincerely