List:       sparc-redhat
Subject:    Re: [ANNOUNCE] Aurora SPARC Proj... PROBLEM WITH RPM ?
From:       Silvio Macedo <smacedo () ic ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2001-12-04 16:06:51

Hi Tom! Hi list!

Thanks for Aurora!

Here is my feedback:

I have a RH6.2 with all updates, lots of rawhide rpms and a few that I
compiled from SRPMS myself (php, postgresql, vnc,and a few more). But this
is not relevant, I believe.

I wanted to upgrade RPM, and to do that had to upgrade popt, but you don't
provide popt-devel. If I need it, should I compile it from SRPMS and send
it to you ? For the time being, I just deleted it.

Then, the next problem was:

[root@casbah rpms]# rpm -Uvh rpm-4.0.3-1.03.sparc.rpm
rpm-build-4.0.3-1.03.sparc.rpm rpm-perl-4.0.3-1.03.sparc.rpm
rpm-python-4.0.3-1.03.sparc.rpm  popt-1.6.3-1.03.sparc.rpm
gnorpm-0.96-11.sparc.rpm rpmfind-1.7-2.sparc.rpm

error: failed dependencies:
        librpm.so.0 is needed by kpackage-1.3.10-3
        librpmbuild.so.0 is needed by kpackage-1.3.10-3

But there isn't also a kpackage. I also rpm -e'd it as I don't use it
anyway. But I thought you'ld like to know.

Then I tried to run

rpm -Uvh gcc-2.96-101.sparc.rpm

and rpm hang up... and top showed no rpm process running (ie. with cpu
load, though it was there...).

-vv gave:
[root@casbah rpms]# rpm -Uvvh gcc-2.96-101.sparc.rpm
D: ============== gcc-2.96-101.sparc.rpm
D: Expected size:      3130901 = lead(96)+sigs(160)+pad(0)+data(3130645)
D:   Actual size:      3130901
D: opening  db environment /var/lib/rpm/Packages joinenv
D: opening  db index       /var/lib/rpm/Packages create mode=0x202
D: locked   db index       /var/lib/rpm/Packages
D: opening  db environment /var/lib/rpm/Name joinenv
D: opening  db index       /var/lib/rpm/Name create mode=0x202
D:      added binary package [0]
D: found 0 source and 1 binary packages
D: ========== +++ gcc-2.96-101
D: opening  db index       /var/lib/rpm/Depends create mode=0x202
D: opening  db environment /var/lib/rpm/Providename joinenv
D: opening  db index       /var/lib/rpm/Providename create mode=0x202

and nothing more... cpu was 96% idle during running.

I then decided to rpm --rebuilddb, and it has been running since then,
taking 96% of the processor. More than 15minutes now...

Should I kill it ? What will happen to the db ?

Thanks for any tip.

My plans after this are:
upgrade glibc, and db1,db2 and db3
I suspect it may have to do with these.

Silvio

On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Tom 'spot' Callaway wrote:

> To all who dare,
>
> The Aurora Project is proud to announce Build 0.2 of its release,
> this time, with lots and lots of rpms. It can be found here:
>
> ftp://linuxpower.org/pub/aurora/build-0.2/
>
> The web page at aurora.linuxpower.org has been updated to express the same
> things as this email. I'm still not a web designer. ;)
>
> Almost all packages are built at this point. The kernel doesn't boot, and
> is just present for headers, so install the 2.4 headers and use the 2.2
> kernel from the RHL 6.2 tree. The only packages missing are anaconda and the
> kernel. Oh yes, Xconfigurator is still broken.
>
> Where does Aurora go from here? Now, we need to fix anaconda, so that we
> can have an installable tree, and hopefully, get a kernel SRPM that makes
> booting kernels on sparc32 & sparc64. Once these things are done, then we
> can start serious bughunting and fixing.
>
> In only a month, we've come a long way, and I have a lot of people to
> thank for that:
>
> Jakub Jelinek, Ingo Storm, Peter Jones, Alex Buell, Thorsten Kukuk, Bryan
> Headley, Jeremy Katz, Jeff Johnson, Dave Miller, Ben Collins, Sean Dilda,
> Hunter Matthews, and the ten to twenty other people who I've forgotten
> (forgive me?).
>
> Thank you all, for contributing in one fashion or another.
>
> Please report bugs of any kind, and thanks for your patience.
>
> And now, a brief howto on installing Aurora:
>
> On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Chinian Wang wrote:
>
> > Is there any how-to or faq, so I can start to test in my Ultra1 :-)
>
> Right now, the easiest way to install Aurora is still by hand. We don't
> have any howtos or faqs yet, (would anyone like to do one?) I was putting
> off starting one until we had anaconda working, and Aurora was able to
> be installed standalone.
>
> To install Aurora currently:
>
> Install Red Hat Linux 6.2 for Sparc.
> Apply all updates from
> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/updates/6.2/en/os/sparc
> Download everything (or just download what you installed) from the
> latest Aurora RPM tree:
> ftp://linuxpower.org/pub/aurora/build-0.2/RPMS
> Upgrade the packages with rpm:
>
> rpm -Uvh *.rpm (this is easiest if you've done an "Everything install"
> when you install 6.2)
>
> Its not a very graceful process, but it should work. When anaconda is
> fixed, this will be a much simpler process.
>
> ~spot
> ---
> Tom "spot" Callaway <tcallawa@redhat.com> Red Hat Sales Engineer
> Sair Linux and GNU Certified Administrator (LCA)
> Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE)
> GPG: D786 8B22 D9DB 1F8B 4AB7  448E 3C5E 99AD 9305 4260
>
> The words and opinions reflected in this message do not necessarily
> reflect those of my employer, Red Hat, and belong solely to me.
>
> "Immature poets borrow, mature poets steal." --- T. S. Eliot

````````` Silvio Emanuel Nunes Barbosa de Macedo (PhD Student) '''''''''''
smacedo@ic.ac.uk                                         smacedo@inescn.pt
Intelligent and Interactive Systems,EEE-Pg         Telecom. and Multimedia
Imperial College, University of London                         INESC Porto
Exhibition Road,                                       Pc da Republica, 93
London SW7 2BT, England                            4050-497 Porto Portugal
Tel:+44 20 75946323                                    Tel:+351  222094220