List:       spambayes
Subject:    [Spambayes] I know, another clueless newbie question....
From:       kenny.pitt () gmail ! com (Kenny Pitt)
Date:       2006-01-24 15:27:44

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 19:55:08 -0500, Allen
<netsecurity at sound-by-design.com> wrote:
> Is it just telnet to SMTP that doesn't give the USER prompt? Or is it
> doing it from the command prompt instead of a term? I remember uploading
> web pages via FTP a few years back where the system gave prompts. Mind
> you this was a different provider and 5 or 6 years ago. I've being doing
> GUI too long, I think. :)

When you did FTP, you were probably using an FTP client application that
provided the prompts and communicated with the server on your behalf.
When you telnet to the SMTP port, you are actually talking directly to the
server at the protocol level.  You're providing your own (manual)
implementation of the SMTP protocol normally handled by your mail client.

--
Kenny Pitt