List:       spamassassin-users
Subject:    Re: Mailspike rules all return 0.0
From:       Kris Deugau <kdeugau () vianet ! ca>
Date:       2020-07-29 17:42:32

Bill Cole wrote:
> On 29 Jul 2020, at 9:27, Simon Harwood wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have noticed that the mailspike rules are enabled in SpamAssasin but
>> all return zero values:
>>
>> 0.0 RCVD_IN_MSPIKE_BL      Mailspike blacklisted
>> 0.0 RCVD_IN_MSPIKE_L5      RBL: Very bad reputation (-5)
>
> This is actually a rounding issue: all RCVD_IN_MSPIKE_* rules are being
> scored at +/- 0.001 by RuleQA so the score report rounds it to 0.0. They
> are rescored that way because they are not hitting anything in the
> submitted corpora but have scores set in the static scores list.
>
> That MAY indicate a bug in RuleQA, since I don't believe that "net"
> rules like these should be rescored by RuleQA. Perhaps someone more
> familiar with the mechanics of RuleQA will correct me...

I can't say about a RuleQA bug, but when these were first added I
investigated to see if they'd be worth a datafeed.

For our mail flow, they hit on a fair bit of mail....  but nearly all of
the messages were pretty strongly ham or spam without the MailSpike
hits, and they weren't hitting the intermediate mail, so I disabled them
all.

A quick crude eyeball through my personal domain's mail log (runs nearly
pure stock SA modulo minor Debianisms) shows plenty of hits, but the ham
is already strongly hammy (scores 0 to -10 or so) and the spam is
strongly spammy (only a light sprinkling at 9, and most of them close to
or over 20).

-kgd