List:       spamassassin-users
Subject:    Re: Outlook, we do love to hate you....
From:       Dave Warren <davew () hireahit ! com>
Date:       2014-08-31 16:33:31

On 2014-08-29 20:31, Jason Haar wrote:
> while we're having a grizzle...
>
> how about the Outlook/MAPI "feature" where if you copy/move an Exchange
> mail message onto an IMAP folder, what arrives can barely be described
> as a legitimate mail message: it has no "Received:" headers, and it's
> To/From lines consist of "Jason Haar" instead of "Jason Haar
> <email@address>". You can imagine what spamassassin thinks about such
> messages...
>
> Words fail me...

As I understand that, that's specifically for messages that originated
within Exchange itself and had no SMTP transmission or RFC5321 or 5322
components in the first place. This dates back to Exchange's history, at
which point it wasn't primarily a SMTP server, SMTP was just one
possible transport.

Modern Exchange shouldn't be creating this mess anymore, but that
doesn't help you fix existing messages. SpamAssassin probably wouldn't
see these messages anyway since, as you described, they're only created
when you export messages from Exchange to IMAP.

If Exchange sends the message via SMTP, or exposes it via IMAP, it
constructs something more standards compliant, it's only when you export
directly from Outlook that you get this mess.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/