List:       spamassassin-users
Subject:    Spamd not scoring messages
From:       Daniel Staal <DStaal () usa ! net>
Date:       2014-05-23 19:00:13

--As of May 22, 2014 3:04:04 PM +0200, Tom Hendrikx is alleged to have said:

> Hi,
>
> After checking the results of sa-update and doing some manual dns
> queries, it seems that last rule updates were done more than a month
> ago. This used to be an almost daily process, even when there were only
> score changes due to masschecks.
>
> Any specific reason for no new updates? Something we can assist with?

--As for the rest, it is mine.

This actually brings up an issue I've been tracking and trying to isolate.
I still haven't isolated it, but I'll bring it up here in case anyone can
help.

My system only restarts spamd when the rules have been updated.  This break
has brought to light an issue where spamd - after running over 24 hours -
stops actually *scoring* messages.  It still logs that it's *processing*
them, but no score is applied - either in header or in logging.

As I've said, I'm still trying to isolate the exact causes: other activity
on the box seems to be involved, so there may be load issues, or something
weird going on with FreeBSD's Jail system.  (The issue seems to go away if
I stop my CPAN smoker jail, though I'm not 100% sure of that.  In theory
there should be no way the two processes interact - they aren't even using
the same perl or kernel.)  The exact time to failure is also in question -
it doesn't seem to happen in under 24 hours, but how long over that is a
question.  (This is complicated by the fact that spamd has occasionally
restarted itself inside the testing period.)

I *do* know it isn't a 3.4 issue - it was occurring before I upgraded.

I'll admit I haven't been working to hard on isolating it - mostly just as
I do other things on the box I've been noticing if the behavior changes.
It's even possible that some of what I think is 'normal' uncaught spam is
part of this - my main notice is the mornings when I wake up and find 50+
spam emails in my inboxes.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.