List:       spamassassin-users
Subject:    Re: Forgetting mis-learned email
From:       "Amir 'CG' Caspi" <cepheid () 3phase ! com>
Date:       2013-07-29 23:39:26

On Mon, July 29, 2013 10:21 am, Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:
>> There were none for this email.

Whoops.  I missed those...  I guess this could be why a 7-bit copy/paste
wouldn't work, and using the mbox file directly is required.

> Tried --forget without the To header?

Not yet, nor have I tried with an empty To header, or skipping the Subject
header.  I will give those a shot.  I'll note that I didn't see any
clearly 8-bit characters when I looked at the file (my text editor should
have shown those), but that may really be the issue... or AN issue, on top
of the To header.

On Mon, July 29, 2013 11:08 am, Benny Pedersen wrote:
> well here bayes score is lower then autolearnthreashhold so it learns
> its self as ham forever

Well, the "forever" part is what I'm trying to overcome, by using --forget.

> to me it seems like you only use bayes nothing else in spamassassin ?,
> disabled other plugins ?

No, I haven't disabled any other plugins.  No other tests hit for this
email when it was run through spamc/spamd.  Even running it through SA
manually now, the only other positive test is RCVD_IN_PSBL, and that's
probably because it has been reported since I received the message.  Other
emails get plenty of hits from other plugins... this one is simply not
hitting them.

> why is it learnt as ham in the first place ?

I think Karsten answered that one well - it's because of the autolearn
threshold.

> are you using diff bayes user ?

No, I'm using the same Bayes user now as when the mail was first scanned.
I'm not THAT much of a newbie. ;-)

On Mon, July 29, 2013 2:13 pm, RW wrote:
> Perhaps the problem is due to Windows newlines.

From my MUA, you mean?  I should note that I don't use Windows, I use a
Mac running OS X.  My MUA uses CR (not CRLF) line breaks, but the mail
server itself is Linux-based so the original email used pure LF line
breaks.  I made sure that the email I ran through sa-learn --forget used
LF line breaks, as well, which has worked in the past but not on this
email.

I don't think linefeeds are the problem, though... based on the above, I'm
strongly suspecting either an 8-bit to 7-bit translation error through my
unwise copy/paste routine, and/or the "undisclosed recipients" To
header-munging being the primary issue.

I'll try different combos and get back to you guys on what worked (if
anything).

Cheers.

						--- Amir