List:       spamassassin-users
Subject:    Re: sa-update
From:       "Grant Peel" <gpeel () thenetnow ! com>
Date:       2010-07-24 16:31:09

OK,

    I have deleted the orignal post so I can make things clear, and
hopefully ask the correct question.

Right now, I have a build of FreeBSD:

FreeBSD spare.<mydomain>.com 8.0-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE-p3 #0: Fri
Jun 11 09:42:51 EDT 2010
root@dev.<mydomain>.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386

Now this build was originally done using CD ISOs made from the orignal
FreeBSD 8.0 RELEASE (December of last year I beleive). Earlier this year, I
updated the source using CVSup. Somehow, I did not update the ports
correctly (I dont beleive they were updated at all.

In this build I have Spamassassin installed (using spamd+spamc pair with an
Exim install).

spare# spamassassin -V
SpamAssassin version 3.2.5
  running on Perl version 5.8.9
spare#

I want to update the Spamassassin installation to the latest ported version,
which I beleive is 3.3.1  .

On my dev box, I have upgraded the port using:

cd /usr/ports
make update

Then,

cd /usr/ports/mail/p5-Mail-SpamAssassin
make config
make
make deinstall
make reinstall

On the dev box, everything seems to be running OK, Spamassassin wise. When I
ask what the version of Spamassassin is, I get 3.3.1

In this thread so far, I think  I have been told that I should make sure the
ports collection be updated first.

So should:

cd /usr/ports
make update

Do the trick as I shown above, then make deinstall and reinstall
spamassassin or do a different menthod to make sure the depends are rebuilt?

(From a previous post):

1) Go into sysinstall and go into prepackaged software/Net utilities
and select cvsup-without-gui, install that

2) cd /root

3) cp /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile .

4) vi ports-supfile   change mirror name

5) rehash

6) cvsup -g -L 2 /root/ports-supfile

7) cd /usr/ports

8) make fetchindex

I appologize guys, I am tryiung very hard to put it all together to do it
right, but am finding all the variations of the answers a little confusing.

So, here is the last question (I hope :-)

If my ports tree is out of date, what steps would I take to:

1) Update the ports tree correctly,
2) Uninstall the current version of Spamassassin (3.2.5) and upgrade it
properly to 3.3.1?
3) When I upgrade the port tree using whatever method, will that at all
affect the way in which the currently installed software (PHP, Apache, Exim
etc etc) will function.

Sorry to be such a wind bag, but I think all the answers I am getting has
get me very close to where I need to be, but, just need some more info to
connect the dots,

In the meantime, back to the handbook :-)

Thanks all,

-Grant