List:       spamassassin-users
Subject:    Re: AWL observations
From:       "Eric A. Hall" <ehall () ntrg ! com>
Date:       2010-07-23 4:08:26

On 7/22/2010 11:07 PM, Matt Kettler wrote:
> On 7/22/2010 10:32 AM, Eric A. Hall wrote:

>> If the current code is intended, I'd like to request a new function call
>> that tells if the tuple exists and the number of times it has been seen
>
> For what purpose? (Not trying to be mean, just asking, because if it's
> not of use to the general SA community, it doesn't belong in the
> mainline release. However, if it's useful.....)

I want to use a previously-seen match list for a variety of purposes. I
already have my SAGrey plugin [1] that uses the AWL for limited-use
greylists (it only fires when spam threshold exceeded, so as not to
penalize everybody, but its not as useful if the AWL rule isn't reliable).
I also have a rule I use locally that blocks mail with binary attachments
if the sender is unknown, which I would like to modify so that it only
fires on spammy messages. There are a couple of other things on the to-do
list here that would benefit from a seen-before database. I can write my
own, but it would be easier to use AWL if its going to be present and
reliable.

It would also be nice to have a last-updated field so that the entries can
be aged. I already run the pruning tools to purge one-time senders
(spammers) at the end of each month, but I would rather do one-time over
six-months.

--
Eric A. Hall                                  http://www.eric-a-hall.com/
Network Technology Research Group                    http://www.ntrg.com/