List:       spamassassin-users
Subject:    Re: Change .spamassassin directory
From:       Karsten =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Br=E4ckelmann?= <guenther () rudersport ! de>
Date:       2010-07-22 23:51:38

On Thu, 2010-07-22 at 16:10 -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> On 7/22/2010 2:18 PM, Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:

> > Ted, I believe you're thinking too large-scale.
> >
> > I may be wrong, but I understand Neil is talking about a single, ISP
> > provided email address.
>
> OK, I missed that, I was assuming he had a vanity domain, (.us or some
> such)
>
> In that case then yes, your correct, the fetchmail/getmail/etc. solution
> is probably the only way to hack around it.
>
> Of course, I would point out that if your ISP is doing a poor
> job of scanning for spam, that your REWARDING your ISP by continuing
> to maintain an e-mail address on their mailserver - thus INSURING that
> they have NO incentive to do a better job.  [...]

Heh. Really? ISPs filter spam? ;)  By the time I finally suspended my
ISP provided email address few years ago (rarely used, and easy to get
rid of), there was absolutely no spam filtering.

My own domain's server (vhosted at that time, and pretty much incapable
of handling the load) is another legacy story of it's own. But I quickly
showed that I *can* filter more spam than any professional service even
dares to advertise. Yes, using that fetchmail trick.

> As for the "freemail" servers, well as they are giving it to you free,

One thing I forgot to mention earlier: I am running such a home solution
for friends of mine. Well, frankly, I got ssh access, and I set up the
server, but since then there's hardly any "running" or administration
needed. Anyway...

One of the addresses is a freemail address. And we deliberately opted
out of their spam filtering. For two reasons,  (a) to have no need for
the web interface to check for FPs, and  (b) to feed Bayes, because SA
now gets the full spectrum of spam.

Needless to say how happy she is. I already mentioned I don't have to
actively administrate the box. ;)

> you can't really complain. ;-)  I guess what's going on here is few
> pennies you are saving on paying for decent mail, your spending
> dollars of our own time cobbling together a workaround.  To each
> his own!

Since one such comment of mine got most of this thread rolling...

Another thing I realized early when supporting users is, not to solve
their issue and move on. Do explain the situation, the issue, and
educate the user. It will pay back.

Seriously, if you properly discuss an issue, explain the basics, and
provide solutions, you will generate enough "buzz words" for google to
pick it up. With time, any (common) issue will cease to be an FAQ. No
one is asking it any more, because they easily found the solution in
list archives asking a search engine.

Why did I bring it up in this context? Right. Because, yes, I did spend
considerable time on this thread. But in the end I believe, other folks
too will find this solution. And we will not have to repeat it again,
spending more resources.

Oh, and course that trade-off was not deliberate on the OPs side. He
realized, oh, there's SA, that can solve my problem! So, let me use
that. Hmm, how exactly do I integrate it? Maybe this way would do, but
now I'm running into an issue. Hey, they got a user's list. Let me ask
experienced folks...

That's what this list is for, no? :)

  guenther