List:       spamassassin-users
Subject:    Re: Newbie, Has Questions
From:       "Chris St. Pierre" <stpierre () NebrWesleyan ! edu>
Date:       2007-03-30 19:32:11

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007, dougp23 wrote:

> I am tyring to do this on an email server.  I am not sure if some of the
> instructions you are shooting at me are for end users, or are for the
> server!
>
> My email server is Scalix, which appears to use Sendmail as its engine.
> My SA is already tagging messages as Spam (fast learner), but like I said,
> rather than deliver them, I want to just throw them out.  No, I don't think
> Sendmail supports maildir.

Suggestions to change MTA are rather throwing the baby out with the
bathwater, methinks.  And this also has nothing to do with what format
your delivery agent uses.

SpamAssassin itself cannot discard mail or direct it to other folders.
So you'll need to use another piece of software to do this.  There are
basically two and a half options:

1.  Use an SA integrator, like MailScanner or Amavisd.  I'm not a big
     fan of this approach, since I think it adds a fair amount of
     unnecessary overhead, makes troubleshooting more difficult (which
     app is X a problem with?) and adds very little features.

2.  Do filtering with your delivery agent.  Someone mentioned
     procmail, which is one solution; if Scalix supports Sieve filters,
     that's another.  (Both are very workable, very flexible
     solutions.)

2.5.  If Scalix supports plus-addressing at delivery time (e.g., with
       LMTP), use SpamAssassin to rewrite the To: address.  But this is
       scary, so don't do it unless you like to live on the edge.

I can't tell from a quick browse through the Scalix wiki what delivery
agent it uses, but I'd look into that and see if you can use procmail
or Sieve with it.

Chris St. Pierre
Unix Systems Administrator
Nebraska Wesleyan University