List:       spamassassin-users
Subject:    Re: Problem with spam from non-existant users of my domain.
From:       "Nels Lindquist" <nlindq () maei ! ca>
Date:       2006-11-30 18:13:14

On 28 Nov 2006 at 11:33, Steven W. Orr wrote:

<snip>

> One more example to be clearerer. This message came in from someplace in
> Russia (maybe), to syslang.net and claims to come from bs at syslang.net.
> I don't have a bs on my machine. If it helps, I'd even be willing to
> create a file with a list of all of my valid account names.

<...>

>     USER_IN_WHITELIST autolearn=no version=3.1.7

If there's no bs@syslang.net on your system, why is USER_IN_WHITELIST
being triggered?  You don't appear to be using Bayes (no BAYES_nn
test) so by my calculation, this message would have scored 15.884
without the USER_IN_WHITELIST hit.  What's your reject threshold?

I know this doesn't directly address your question about detecting
non-local e-mail addresses in From:, but if the ultimate problem is
that such messages are making it through your filter, then
configuring SpamAssassin properly might be easier than adding
complexity to your Sendmail configuration.

----
Nels Lindquist <*>
Information Systems Manager
Morningstar Air Express Inc.