List:       spamassassin-users
Subject:    Re: Registrar RBL: nomination and scoring
From:       David Cary Hart <DavidHart () TQMcube ! com>
Date:       2006-08-13 17:55:03

On Sun, 13 Aug 2006 10:26:28 -0700 (PDT), "John D. Hardin"
<jhardin@impsec.org> opined:

> Registrars' Terms of Service should be publicly available for
> review; standards for ToS treatment of spammer behavior should be
> fairly easy to develop and apply.
>
> Registrars' responsiveness to complaints should be fairly easy to
> track as well, and standards for that should also be possible.
>
> Meta-question: *how much* responsibility for the domain-owner's
> behavior does the registrar actually or reasonably bear? What form
> does that responsibility take?

And how much are you willing to pay for a domain?

I don't disagree with any of this. In  fact, this could be a very
powerful economic boycott which is why I thought about it. I am only
pointing our the administrative difficulties.

How would you suggest the query mechanism works? I Most whois servers
impose some sort of volume limitation; Many are extremely slow.

Therefor, this probably warrants a RHSBL with the registrar in the
text record. In turn, that requires getting a listing of all domains
registered by a listed registrar.

How do you keep up with transfers?

If someone can figure out the  mechanics, I have a volunteer (working
on her MBA) who is great at crafting policy. I also have the mirrors
and structure. I am willing to add the zone. My first listing would
be Gandi.

--
Our DNSRBL - Eliminate Spam at the Source: http://www.TQMcube.com
               Don't Subsidize Criminals: http://boulderpledge.org