List:       spamassassin-users
Subject:    Re: Allowing IMAP/POP to Send Email
From:       Magnus Holmgren <holmgren () lysator ! liu ! se>
Date:       2006-08-03 17:48:29

On Thursday 03 August 2006 19:25, Marc Perkel took the opportunity to say:
> Chris Lear wrote:
> > What if I set up an SMTP server at home behind my ADSL router, collect
> > my vanity-domain mail there, and access it via IMAP or POP3? It seems
> > I only have one option, which is to send my mail via IMAP to my home
> > server. Which then sends via SMTP to... the Internet (or via a
> > smarthost). And the home server sending via SMTP is going to look a
> > bit like a MUA sending via SMTP. How would you tell the difference? Is
> > a home mail server outlawed in the brave new world? Or does my SMTP
> > server have to learn to talk IMAP to make message submissions to the
> > ISP's server?
> >
> Then it would be a server and talk SMTP. Servers still talk SMTP. I have
> a home SMTP server myself.

Ooookaaay... but they have to use SMTP AUTH, right? So why can't MUAs talk
SMTP as well then? The only reason you have left is that you want to remove
existing functionality (SMTP) from MUAs and replace it with something (two
things, even) that doesn't yet exist (mail submission over POP and IMAP).

--
Magnus Holmgren        holmgren@lysator.liu.se
                       (No Cc of list mail needed, thanks)