List:       spamassassin-users
Subject:    Re: What changes would you make to stop spam? - United Nations
From:       Kenneth Porter <shiva () sewingwitch ! com>
Date:       2006-08-03 15:49:49

--On Wednesday, August 02, 2006 3:25 PM -0700 jdow <jdow@earthlink.net>
wrote:

> I keep several gigabytes of email data around. With POP3 it is easy
> to store locally. With IMAP it's a pain in the <censored>.

My boss logs in from several computers, including a laptop he takes
everywhere. I got tired of keeping all his POP3 mail stores in sync using
scripts, so I switched him to IMAP, and set Mozilla on his clients to keep
local mirrors (particularly important for detached work). The wire-level
work is about the same, but I don't have to maintain a bunch of scripts
anymore.

It's our server, not an ISP's, so we don't have to worry about size
constraints. (And this is also an argument for allowing savvy users to
operate servers at home, to provide high-volume mail storage accessible
from anywhere in the world.)