List:       spamassassin-users
Subject:    Re: spamcop.net tactics
From:       Jeff Chan <jeffc () surbl ! org>
Date:       2005-11-23 13:25:22

On Wednesday, November 23, 2005, 3:33:47 AM, Leonard SA wrote:
> Hello,

> I have had to remove spamcop from my rbl check list. they have had some
> legitimate mail servers listed recently. They had the gentoo mail list
> listed and some other important servers which i cant see why they were
> added.

> Regards ..

> Leonard

If you mean at the MTA level, yes, I don't use bl.spamcop.net in
my MTAs.  For SpamAssassin, however it's useful as another
somewhat reliable indicator of spammyness to increment the scores
a bit, just like SORBLs or SPEWS, which would otherwise be
largely unusable for outright blocking in an MTA for most
people.

SpamCop's bl gets IPs that users report.  There's some filtering
and munging, but it's either less than one would like or more
than one would like, depending on one's perspective.  IOW some
SpamCop user (unwisely) reported a gentoo mailing list message as
spam, and that's why it got onto the blacklist: user error.

Jeff C.
--
Jeff Chan
mailto:jeffc@surbl.org