List:       spamassassin-users
Subject:    RE: Blacklists entries not getting blocked
From:       Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey () BUC ! com>
Date:       2005-04-29 13:14:53

From: Antonio DeLaCruz [mailto:td@homenet.tzo.com]

> Attached is a file that contains the header information and the preview of
> the message as spamassassin modified it.  From the body of the e-mail, you
> can clearly see that it is looking at my blacklist, it just isn't doing
> anything with it.  Well, after ramming my head into the wall to knock some
> sense into me, I think that I know why it isn't.  My .procmailrc file
isn't
> doing anything with it.  Now, that means to me that spamassassin does
> nothing more than assign a score to the e-mail and that proc mail does the
> actual filtering and deletion.

Exactly.

> So, what it seems to me is that 1) the black list in the user_prefs file
is
> totally useless since you could easily put this in your .procmailrc file:
>
> :0:
> * ^From:*badaddress.com
> /dev/null

Well...I wouldn't say "useless".  "Redundant", maybe...

> or 2) there has to be a way in the .procmailrc file to send to /dev/null
> anything that has a score over a certain value.  I'm not finding anything
on
> how to do that, so if you know, that would be much appreciated.

Definitely possible.  I believe someone else has already provided that
script.

> My only other option is to take the listings in my blacklist and run them
> through a perl script to re-write them to go into my procmailrc file.
But,
> something tells me that the processing would take longer if my mail server
> had to parse through a huge procmailrc file.

Don't know which is more efficient.  I would guess that SA is faster at
processing the blacklist.  On the other hand, if procmail drops the mail
before SA processes it, then SA doesn't have to run all the rest of the
rules.
Some testing would probably be needed to know for sure.

Bowie