List:       spamassassin-users
Subject:    Re: [SAtalk] SA interaction with MIMEDefang
From:       Kris Deugau <kdeugau () webhart ! net>
Date:       2003-04-29 23:59:57

listuser@numbnuts.net wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Kris Deugau wrote:
> > *Some* global settings can go in
> > /etc/mail/spamassassin/sa-mimedefang.cf.  Some, of course, have no
> > effect.
> Would this be where I could define my own scores for certain checks
> or define my own DNSBL checks in general?

In theory, yes;  I'm not certain how well new tests will work.  It
should be OK.

> Mail delivery is local on this box.

In that case, you want to use spamd/spamc.  The difference in processing
time/etc is negligible (SA itself, at the level of executing perl code,
is 99% of the load- and that won't change no matter how you call it),
and it allows clean and simple per-user prefs. You can also do sitewide
AWL/Bayes without too much trouble- just specify the appropriate options
in /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf.

spamc/spamd called from procmail is also a whole lot *simpler*.  <g>

>  I'm using MD because as I understand
> it, it's more efficient than running spamd/c.  That's just what I've
> heard.

Hmmm..  That's a new one for me.  I don't see where that would be an
issue except in *very* high-load servers.

>  When I get AV checks up and running I imagine it will be
> through MD as well, making it even more efficient.

More efficient?  Maybe.  Better fine-grained controls on *exactly* how
you handle virus mail?  Definitely.

>  At present (and for the forseeable future) I don't reject mail any
> mail based on the scoring I'm doing.

In which case there's little advantage in calling SA through MIMEDefang.

>  I do prepend ***SPAM*** to the subject line of mail with
> scores >= 10.  I don't reject any though.  I also use a short
> procmail recipe to archive mail >=5<10 into one spool and mail >=10
> into another.

Globally, or per-user?  For production use as an ISP, I decided that it
would be a Really Bad Idea to discard anything other than virus mail,
and I had a great deal of trouble when I tried a global procmailrc.

> I had planned on checking it for FPs and writing a script to
> auto-report the spam to the FTC and NANAS.  It's been 5 months since
> I implemented it though and I still have yet to do either. :)

I would simply collect known FPs and submit them in a block
periodically;  as well as feeding them to sa-learn with 2.5x.
Autosubmission is dangerous.

-kgd
apartment it is.