List:       spacewalk-devel
Subject:    Re: [Spacewalk-devel] [Spacewalk-list] Incorrect timezone in new 2.1 date / time picker.
From:       Cliff Perry <cperry () redhat ! com>
Date:       2014-03-31 8:42:30

On 28/03/14 16:16, Duncan Mac-Vicar P. wrote:
> On 28/03/14 17:05, Ron Helzer wrote:
>> There's only one other GMT-0500 timezone choice
>> available (Indiana), where they don't observe DST... That, in
>> conjunction with the fact that there were no DST issues pre-2.1, would
>> suggest to me that the GMT-0500 (Eastern) setting should account for
>> EDT/EST change.
>>
>> Are you suggesting I'm supposed to change the preference twice a year
>> to manually account for DST?
>
> No, I am just trying to understand where the issue can come from, as I
> don't think anything changed at all.
>
> In 2.0 the date picker fragment got the timezone from the DatePicker
> bean (picker.calendar.timeZone)
> https://github.com/spacewalkproject/spacewalk/blob/SPACEWALK-2.0/java/cod=
e/webapp/WEB-INF/pages/common/fragments/date-picker.jsp
> (line 60)
>
> In 2.1, the JSP tag gets the timezone from the DatePicker bean in the
> same way
> https://github.com/spacewalkproject/spacewalk/blob/SPACEWALK-2.1/java/cod=
e/src/com/redhat/rhn/frontend/taglibs/DateTimePickerTag.java
> (line 225)
>
> Then the time passed to the server on submit does not carry the
> timezone, so it is always relative to the one it was shown to you.
> (I am not saying there is not a problem, but I can't see how it would be
> new if there is).
>
> CCing -devel in case anyone sees something I am missing.

I'm not 100% certain this is correct - pretty sure I am though

  - So, date/timezone is a bit weird some times.
  - User sets timezone, such as EST, we will then display everything in =

UI based on that timezone for events that happened. If the user =

schedules something, we will then store in the DB with the off-set used.
  - Assuming the OS timezone and date are correct, then the DB entries =

for future stored events are correct - based on when the user in UI =

expected it to happen.
  - System checks in, and picks up event, based on Spacewalk date for =

scheduled event, NOT the managed systems date/time.

So, not commenting/helping with respect to code, just giving extra color.

Cliff