List:       spacewalk-devel
Subject:    Re: [Spacewalk-devel] Future of the development stack?
From:       "Duncan Mac-Vicar P." <dmacvicar () suse ! de>
Date:       2013-10-15 11:14:16

On 14/10/13 11:37, Cliff Perry wrote:
> Hi Duncan and guys,
> so the last I saw, 12 days ago, was this Spacewalk branch
>
> https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/spacewalk.git/log/?h=bootstrap-css
>
> Grant loaded it onto a test system and it was looking good, still some
> polish needed and fixes done in a few places, but great to see.

Hey Cliff

Thanks for the feedback, it is much appreciated.

> So, I had a couple of questions
>
>  1) Any further progress/merging into that branch?

I spent the Hackweek at SUSE porting the list widgets. Grant Gainey
supported me with useful information. Silvio just pushed the current
branch to the spacewalk git.

The current plan is to make a sprint this and next week and look into:

- Perl pages (we upstreamed some Java ports, but as part of a different
feature branch :-))
- Details everywhere
- asset processing and CDNs (I will explain below)

Then we would like to try to merge upstream, and work the next details
(static html pages that require different classes, by-hand widgets and
porting images to font icons that are not generated by jsp tags) in a
second round when the first basic stuff is already merged. This would
open the window for others to contribute, port, and to get some bug reports.

We would continue then to do minor work as we find issues and in a ~6
weeks we will do another 2 week sprint focusing various developers on
polishing specific reported problems.

So our main focus now is to manage to get this week and next week
everything in a state where a merge would be accepted.

>  2) There was at least two css scripts being pulled from 3rd party
> locations which were required. They need to be packaged/shipped - since
> a fully disconnected Spacewalk instance, would not have internet access
> to pull it down.

Yes, this is the asset processing part I mention above. We did this for
development convenience.
We will remove this and use bundled versions.
Also, right now LESS is preprocessed to CSS in the client using less.js.
We want to introduce a developer/production mode that in the second case
it uses the css (generated during build) and in the first it would
preprocess at runtime for developer convenience. Also this processing
could include minifying and bundling of various assets together. This
could help eg. RHN by reducing bandwidth and number of requests. Rails
has this feature, may be we can mimick it somehow with Struts.

>  3) More a reminder, to ensure all code/libraries/scripts used are GPL
> friendly.
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#GPLCompatibleLicenses

Twitter Bootstrap: Apache License 2.0
jQuery: MIT
Font-Awesome code: MIT
(all compatible)
Font-Awesome fontss: SIL Open Font License (OFL)
Addressed here: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#SILOFL
(not a problem)

> Really, this is good stuff and I look forward to seeing the finished and
> polished product.

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

--
Duncan Mac-Vicar P. - http://www.suse.com/

SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix
Imendörffer, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)
Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany