List:       spacewalk-devel
Subject:    [Spacewalk-devel] Maintance Window Specification
From:       msuchy () redhat ! com (=?ISO-8859-2?Q?Miroslav_Such=FD?=)
Date:       2010-06-17 14:47:25

I've been working on this specification some time and here it somes:
  https://fedorahosted.org/spacewalk/wiki/MaintWindow_Spec

The main goal is to allow:
  * Staged deployments: yum download prior to window; install during window
  * Linking scripts to config deployments (think: deploy config files
and then restart service X)
  * Reoccurring remote commands

Especially "Linking scripts to config deployments" is very similar to
what Puppet do. And you may ask:
"Why you are reinventing wheel. Why do not you use Puppet for this."
Well, I asked this question myself and my answer is that we *want to*
use Puppet. Someday.
The problem is that if Spacewalk want to integrate with Puppet and
provide GUI, we had to store configuration files somewhere (already
done), we had to store remote scripts somewhere. And we should store it
probably store it in DB as storage in plain text files will probably
bring some security questions in Spacewalk context.
And exactly this is big part of this specification. And even this task
is already huge load.
Meanwhile we will still use rhncfg-client and rhn_check for the
deployment. But once all from this specification is done we can create
new module for Puppet to retrieve nodes, config files and scripts etc.
(or mirror it the way as we do with cobbler today). But that is probably
far future.

Anyway ... do you have comments on this specification?

--
Miroslav Suchy
Red Hat Satellite Engineering