List:       spacewalk-devel
Subject:    [Spacewalk-devel] 0.5 State of the Union
From:       cperry () redhat ! com (Cliff)
Date:       2009-03-31 2:13:30

Colin Coe wrote:
> On 3/31/09, Milan Zazrivec <mzazrivec at redhat.com> wrote:
>>> the issue was that there were inconsistent passwords in jabber config
>>> files. jabberd randomly generates a password in %post so we cantdefault
>>> ours.  we write out our own randomly generated password when we install the
>>> package. but you really don't want updates to mess with it.  so it only
>>> happens on package install.
>> What currently happens to jabber configs during spacewalk 0.4 -> 0.5 upgrade
>> is that the new c2s.xml, s2s.xml, sm.xml are created, but <secret /> and
>> <pass /> tags remain empty -> s2s fails to start (glibc exception).
>>
>>> a less hackish way to deal with it would be
>>> to generate the password in spacewalk-setup and write it out to the configs
>>> when you setup spacewalk. this would involve alot more work  but ultimately
>>> would be cleaner, its something we should look at post 0.5
>> If we don't solve this now, no 0.4 -> 0.5 upgrades will be possible.
>> Never mind the fact that the change in spacewalk-config will mess up current
>> Satellite upgrades.
>>
>> -MZ
>>

> Please forgive this intrusion but looking at the roadmap, func will
> replace osad in spacewalk 0.7.  So there is just two minor versions of
> spacewalk until osad goes away and I'm guessing that there won't be a
> release of satellite based on spacewalk 0.5 or 0.6.  If this
> assumption is correct, changes to the spacewalk.conf shouldn't impact
> on future Satellite releases.
>
> Also given the problems with osad and fedora 10 right now is it
> feasible to just integrate func into spacewalk now?

I feel that we are pretty close to the end/finish of getting Jabberd
working with F10. As for when osad is replaced with func - I am not
certain if it will land on 0.7 - we have a lot of other things being
considered we may want to get in sooner for folks. It was placed on the
roadmap 9 odd months ago as a goal. We should be adding and shuffling a
few things soon, once 0.5 is out and we can look more forward :)

Cliff