List:       sox-users
Subject:    [SoX-users] Can't create mp3 file, in 64-bit Windows
From:       Jeremy Nicoll - ml sox users <jn.ml.sxu.88 () wingsandbeaks ! org ! uk>
Date:       2016-02-18 0:41:25

Earlier, I took the advice in README.win32 about enabling MP3 support.
It says:

MP3 support can be enabled by placing Lame encoding DLL and/or
MAD decoding DLL into the same directory as SOX.EXE.  These
can be compiled yourself, they may turn up on searches of the internet
or may be included with other MP3 applications already installed
on your system. For encoding/writing, try searching for lame-enc.dll,
libmp3lame-0.dll, libmp3lame.dll, or cygmp3lame-0.dll.  For
decoding/reading, try searching for libmad-0.dll, libmad.dll or
cygmad-0.dll.

I found a 32-bit lame_enc.dll (note the underscore rather than dash in
its name)
already installed in a directory that's on the PATH.

I also downloaded a more recent 64-bit build of lame for Windows and put
the DLL it
contained into the directory that holds my sox.exe file, with the name
it had in the
build, which was also lame_enc.dll

When I tried a sox command:

  "C:\Dropbox\Programs--ALL-\~open-source sox V14-4-2\sox.exe"
--no-clobber
      infile.wav -C128.5 outfile.mp3

I got the error message:

C:\Dropbox\Programs--ALL-\~open-source sox V14-4-2\sox.exe FAIL util:
Unable to load LAME encoder library (libmp3lame).

I have tried the same command with the DLL file in the sox exe's
directory renamed to:

     libmp3lame.dll
     libmp3lame-0.dll
     lame-enc.dll

and all produce the same error message.

Can anyone tell me what DLL sox is actually trying to load?    From the
way the README text is written I assumed
that sox woud make several attempts to load a DLL, trying each of the
listed names in turn.  I suppose that may
not be how it works, maybe it just tries one specific name...  but which
one?

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own