List:       sox-users
Subject:    Re: [SoX-users] [ANNOUNCE] SoX 14.4.0 Released
From:       Chris Bagwell <chris () cnpbagwell ! com>
Date:       2012-03-05 15:55:44

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 9:06 AM, Jan Stary <hans@stare.cz> wrote:
> The new version's ./configure script
> has a new option not present in 14.3.2:
>
> --with-sysroot=DIR
>        Search for dependent libraries within DIR
>        (or the compiler's sysroot if not specified).
>
> I wonder what exactly that does: if I use --with-sysroot=/usr/local
> (which is indeed where all my dependent libraries such as libFLAC are),
> ./configure does not find them. Same with /usr/local/lib.
>
> So I continue to use
> env CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib ./configure ...
>
> Is --with-sysroot related to cross-compiling, as a quick search suggests?

I've not used it directly but it is for cross compiling only.  For
example, if I want to cross compile a cygwin binary under Linux and
have all its internal paths relative to /usr when installed on cygwin
I'd need to "configure --prefix=/usr
--with-sysroot=/usr/i686-pc-cygwin/sys-root/cygwin/lib" so that it can
find cygwin libraries and not my Linux libraries from /usr/lib.

But since I've not used it directly and I'm not positive were you stop
in that path.  I'm not sure if "*/lib" needs to be there or if its
stops all the way at "*/sys-root" part.

Chris