List:       sox-users
Subject:    [SoX-users]  Channels/remix does not function as documented
From:       William Mortimore <wm () keystoneinsights ! com>
Date:       2011-11-12 2:35:52

OK, I will try this question another way, since no one has responded to my
question or the same one posted by xldelg many moons ago.

In the sox man pages it says:

For example, the following two commands are equivalent:
sox input.wav -c 1 output.wav bass -3
sox input.wav	output.wav bass -3 channels 1
though the second form is more flexible as it allows the effects to be
ordered arbitrarily.

Well actually they are not. With a 2 channel input file, the first way gives
a mono file, but one that is 1/2 the length - it stops exactly in the
middle.

The second way works properly.

Try it yourself.

Now xldelg and I are both trying to use libsox with an effects chain.
Putting the "channels" effect in the chain with or without a 1 argument
results in a mono file that is 1/2 length file.

Hmmmm...

In an effects chain there is no way to simulate the second way.

I consider this a bug. Am I wrong?