List:       sox-users
Subject:    Re: [SoX-users] DJ Talkover - Mixing 2 wav files - How to Change the volume in file2 depending on th
From:       Daniel Jolt <dajolt () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-11-10 17:34:27

Thanks for taking the time to help!

@Jan

>So if you put it through a 2:1 compressor now, it should be what you want:
>when there is no speech, the signal (one half of music) gets companded
>to the original music volume; and when there is speech, they are half:half.

>This has the limitation of speech:music being half:half,
>and not some preconfigured value you wanted.

This approach has some problems - to achive the talkover effect the music
volume has a stay reduced for a split second before going up to the full volume
again once the speech is absent, otherwise loud music will block out the speech.

@Philip:
Alas I have not seen any way to call VST filters from
sox in the manual. If there's a way to run VST or even Nyquist from
sox, this would be
a solution. The mix should run as a command line script at some later point.