List:       sox-devel
Subject:    Re: [SoX-devel] [SoX-users] How to compile SoX with m4a support.
From:       Pascal Giard <evilynux () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-05-07 3:44:45

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 2:03 AM, Jan Stary <hans@stare.cz> wrote:
> Please kick ffmpeg out.
>
> All it does in sox now is decode certain file formats
> (if it doesn't crash immediately), which is more
> straightforwardly done in ffmpeg(1) itself anyway,
> possibly piped as you suggested.

While doing some work on SoX for Debian tonight, that subject came back to =
me.
It's not the first time this comes around and as Jan, I don't see
current ffmpeg "support" as being worth the trouble/confusion.
As far as I know, in the current state of affairs the ffmpeg "support"
within SoX brings more bad than good e.g. a user expects it to work
while most of the time (if not always), it does not.

Mostly for that reason, I'm considering dropping ffmpeg in the future
Debian packages of SoX unless some dramatic changes occur.
I think it'd be in the best user interest to be informed about
ffmpeg's sox format instead.

Cheers,

-Pascal
-- =

Homepage (http://organact.mine.nu)
Debian GNU/Linux (http://www.debian.org)
COMunit=E9/LACIME: =C9cole de technologie sup=E9rieure (http://www.comunite=
.ca)
Integrated Microsystems Laboratory: McGill (http://www.iml.ece.mcgill.ca)

---
Live Security Virtual Conference
Exclusive live event will cover all the ways today's security and =

threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond. Discussions =

will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in malware =