List:       solr-user
Subject:    Re: Timeout on LTR query causing out of memory
From:       rajani m <rajinimaski () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-09-27 15:38:28

Any alternative to timeout LTR re-ranker similar to the "timeAllowed" that
limits the main ranker? or is there a way to tell if a query is expensive
for ltr given a number of terms or has N hits?

The LTR queries are taking forever and timing out at some point with
"ExitableDirectoryReader
'' exception, and at the same time this is causing the heap to completely
fill up and trigger an oom. An oom that invokes oom killer script that
brings solr down for sometime.  Errors stack trace here on the gist
<https://gist.github.com/rajanim/1ee04de066aa4da6f0916f0c38274489>

   1. too long to iterate over terms. Timeout: timeoutAt: 946228141325435
   (System.nanoTime(): 946228142713792),
   TermsEnum=org.apache.lucene.codecs.lucene90.blocktree.SegmentTermsEnum@5f420d22
   2. at
   org.apache.solr.search.ReRankCollector.topDocs(ReRankCollector.java:163)
   ~[?:?]

   1. at
   org.apache.lucene.search.TermQuery$TermWeight.getTermsEnum(TermQuery.java:144)
   ~[?:?]
   2. at
   org.apache.lucene.search.TermQuery$TermWeight.scorer(TermQuery.java:107)
   ~[?:?]
   3. at
   org.apache.solr.ltr.feature.SolrFeature$SolrFeatureWeight.scorer(SolrFeature.java:229)
   ~[?:?]
   4. at
   org.apache.solr.ltr.LTRScoringQuery$ModelWeight.scorer(LTRScoringQuery.java:500)
   ~[?:?]