List:       solr-user
Subject:    Re: [EXTERNAL] colStatus response not as expected with Solr 8.1.1 in a distributed deployment
From:       Erick Erickson <erickerickson () gmail ! com>
Date:       2019-10-30 11:48:21

Exactly how did you kill the instance? If I stop Solr gracefully (bin/solr stop…) \
it's fine. If I do a "kill -9" on it, I see the same thing you do on master.

It's a bit tricky. When a node goes away without a chance to gracefully shut down, \
there's no chance to set the state in the collection's "state.json" znode. However, \
the node will be removed from the "live_nodes" list and a replica is not truly active \
unless its state is "active" in the state.json file _and_ the node appears in \
live_nodes.

CLUSTERSTATUS pretty clearly understands this, but COLSTATUS apparently doesn't.

I'll raise a JIRA.

Thanks for letting us know

Erick