List:       solr-user
Subject:    Re: Is there a way to retrieve the a term's position/offset in Solr
From:       Bjarke Buur Mortensen <mortensen () eluence ! com>
Date:       2017-03-30 15:00:27

OK, that complicates things a bit.

I would still try to go for a solution where you store the rich text in
Solr, but make sure you tokenize it correctly.

If the format is relatively simple, you could use either a regexp pattern
tokenizer
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Tokenizers#Tokenizers-SimplifiedRegularExpressionPatternTokenizer

or perhaps, before tokenization, use a pattern replace char filter to strip
out the parts of the rich text that should not be indexed
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/CharFilterFactories#CharFilterFactories-solr.PatternReplaceCharFilterFactory

I assume that you have some process for converting the rich text to plain
text before indexing, so if you can replicate that process using Solr's
charfilters, tokenizers and filters then that would allow you to use the
highlighter to get the rich text back.

HTH,
Bjarle