List:       solr-user
Subject:    Solr Design question on spatial search
From:       Venu Shankar <venushankardev () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-02-29 21:54:58

Hello,

I have a design question for Solr.

I work for an enterprise which has a lot of retail stores (approx. 20K).
These retail stores are spread across the world.  My search requirement is
to find all the cities which are within x miles of a retail store.

So lets say if we have a retail Store in San Francisco and if I search for
"San" then San Francisco, Santa Clara, San Jose, San Juan, etc  should be
returned as they are within x miles from San Francisco. I also want to rank
the search results by their distance.

I can create an index with all the cities in it but I am not sure how do I
ensure that the cities returned in a search result have a nearby retail
store. Any suggestions ?

Thanks,
Venu,