List:       solr-user
Subject:    RE: Tuning Solr caches with high commit rates (NRT)
From:       Bruce Ritchie <bruce () jivesoftware ! com>
Date:       2010-09-30 15:26:06

> One strategy that I like, but haven't found in discussion lists is
> auto-limiting cache size/warming based on available resources (similar
> to the way file system caches use free memory). This would allow
> caches to adjust to their memory environment as indexes grow.

I've written such a cache for use as a Voldemort store in the past. I'm going to \
rewrite it in the near future to improve the code however the general idea can be \
seen at http://code.google.com/p/project-voldemort/issues/detail?id=225

The trickiest part of doing an auto-limiting cache based on available memory
is making sure that it works nicely with the garbage collector. Getting that balance \
right so that the gc doesn't churn needlessly took me more time than writing the \
cache.

Bruce